Axel's simnel cake recipe
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Cake decorating
I have tried making simnel cake a few times and it has come out heavy in the past. Having made it for Mothering Sunday, it will not last through to Easter as it has proved very popular.
Yorkshire, England, UK
17 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 12 Slices
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 150g raisins
- 150g sultanas
- 50g currants
- 55g candied mixed peel
- 110g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam, melted
- icing sugar as needed
- 1 medium egg, lightly whisked (for glaze)
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:2hr20min
- To make the marzipan: place the caster sugar and ground almonds in a bowl, then add the 2 lightly beaten eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the almond essence and knead for a minute or two until it becomes smooth and soft. Divide the marzipan into 3 roughly equal portions.
- Sieve the plain flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, cloves and sea salt together into a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 140 C / Gas 1. Prepare an 18cm and quite tall cake tin, by lightly oiling it all over, then lining it with baking parchment.
- Mix the raisins, sultanas and currants together in a big mixing bowl either with a spoon or your hands. Mix in the candied mixed peel.
- Cream the butter and soft brown sugar together until light and fluffy in a decent sized mixing bowl using a hand-held electric whisk. Add the 3 lightly beaten eggs and orange extract until well mixed together. Then add the flour mixture and mix together thoroughly.
- Take one of the pieces of marzipan and break into small chunks. Add these to the cake mix and gently fold into the cake batter, trying to keep them as intact as possible. Spoon the simnel cake mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. After 15 minutes turn out and place on wire rack to cool down.
- When cooled down, brush the top of the cake with the apricot jam. Next, dust a rolling surface and a rolling pin with icing sugar (otherwise it sticks to everything), then roll out one of the pieces of marzipan. Place this rolled marzipan over the top of the cake, cutting off the edges.
- With the final third of marzipan, split it into 11 equal pieces and roll into balls and place these around the edge of the cake. Finally, glaze the marzipan with the beaten egg that you should still have.
- Put the cake under a hot grill and brown the top of the cake lightly, then leave to cool.
I mix through 1 tablespoon of the flour mix into the mixed fruit, which makes it easier to mix together and will stop the fruit dropping to the bottom of the cake in the oven.
See it on my blog
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (3)
I liked this recipe although mine took less time to cook-07 Apr 2012
beautiful !!!!! the marzipan is to die for !!-17 Mar 2016
This was a lovely cake. I liked the orange extract flavour and the chunks of marzipan throughout the cake. Will make this again!-18 Apr 2015
Grocery delivery Patterdale
You want to discover the convenience of grocery delivery in Patterdale? This is just great: get all groceries like Polar Gear Active 2 Compartment Lunch Cooler Raspberry, Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips and often ClearZal Foot Sanitiser at home! Grocery products from departments as Crumble, Pies & Tarts and Nursery & On The Go of manufacturers such as Big Fish or Method. You buy it fast and cheap via internet. Grocery delivery Patterdale will bring the products into your kitchen. Discover whether a supermarket as Pets at Home and obviously Iceland also deliver the supermarket-products in your city. For people who live in St Mellons it is not comparable with Cloughey. Take your postcode (e.g. GL20 7BY0 or possible BN52 9SE0). You will easily find out what (eg. Tesco) grocery delivery service in Patterdale is available. Leena (25, Television floor manager) Order one or two times a month online. “It saves me a lot of time. “
Which supermarkets deliver in Willand?
The online supermarket delivery service Willand: It has so many benefits. A crate packed with groceries as Palmers Skin Therapy Oil For Face, Beefayre Lavender Geranium Hand Cream and of course Picksan No Lice Preventative Spray plus in advertising products by Coconut Collab weights often up to 17,5 kilograms. Lifting with bags may be past! Take advantage of the online supermarket Willand today. The supermarket will bring everything at your house. Did you know you can set your own address and time slot? Early on Tuesday at 10:45, wednesday around noon at 17:00 or saturday evening around 17:15, at the address that suits you. On this website, you can read more about Supermarket Delivery Midlothian
Online food shopping in Willand
You like to buy online at e.g. Homebase www.homebase.co.uk? We notice that lots of food-stores have also a webshop. Register yourself, use the search function, and search for Essie Nail Lacquer Sunshine State of Mind 398 or just some Emma Bridgewater Polka Dot French Bowl 135cm. Or search for a product from the category Puzzles & Games or search only a brands as Picard. Throw the items you need in your cart. In many cases, you can then select a moment yourself. Very practical: make use of groceries pay after deliver, you can pay with ATM card. You can also opt for Click & Collect (often cheaper). Discover the convenience of online grocery shopping and explore for example the Sainsbury’s supermarket delivery in Willand.
Try the online butcher and bakery
There are quite a number of bakeries in Willand that are able to deliver your bread to your home. You will find there Pain d’Epi, the online butcher delivers Wedge-Bone Sirloin Steak. Your greengrocer delivers fresh Paprika, or order fresh Nance or Strawberry at the supermarket delivery service Willand. We recommend this because: fresh groceries without fuss. At the local liquor store you buy a bottle Beau’s Farm Table Helles or just a great wine such as Laurent-Perrier Ultra Brut. Order at the supermarket a bottle Gamer Cherry when you are thirsty. Internet grocery shopping is really a solution. You can make use of this service the whole day. For example, at 9:40 o’clock early in the morning 16:40 o’clock in the morning or evenings about 20:50 o’clock thanks to food delivery Willand. Fresh bread at home, or ordering online juicy meat will save you lots of time. Hint: Also try the (free) delivery service of Iceland, Morrisons, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Amazon Pantry. Sometimes also possible at Pet Pavilion, Centra and Thorntons. An anniversary? Directly order a portion Dried squid or a bag with Graze Snack Box BBQ Crunch 31g with a discount at the online supermarket. Of course, you need to clean your house from time to time. Search a cheap Fresh Start offer online.